Saturday, May 7, 2011

Cutting the Apron Strings

In honor of Mother's Day, I want to have an open discussion about cutting the apron strings. I only very recently evicted my mother from attending regular cardiac and pacemaker check-ups. Let's be real - I don't drive, I was just kind of going along for the ride these last few years. I started slowly, letting her tag along but not come in the exam room, until finally I decided enough was enough. I took the bus by my own damn self - two buses, in fact! - got my ass down to Wilshire where I met up with a friend, (oh yeah, that's right I have an entourage) and together we went to my appointment.

Until the whole drama with the lady business and No Babies Club, I've been doing this routine or a variant of it without my mom.

I won't lie, I felt guilty the first time I told her to stay at work like a damn adult. I was way more upset than she was, I'm sure.
She was like, "OK, whatever, you're taking up precious LOLcat time. Goodbye."
And I was like, "OMG! I just told my mommy to fuck off and never come to my doctor appoints. She gave birth to me and this is the thanks I give her, what a complete and utter twat I am!"

I got over it pretty quickly. It's been fairly liberating and I feel like a Grown Ass Woman (never mind that I still live with her). I've never gone to the cardiologist completely alone, but I think there is something to be said for having some kind of company. Moral support and what not.

Now, I am not here to shit on anyone who does have their parental unit(s) tag along to their appointments still. The real purpose of this post is to get some feedback on this topic.
OK, so hit the "leave a comment" button, prove to me you're not a troll by filling out a CAPTCHA and answer the following questions:

ANSWER ME:

1) Who, if anyone, do you take to the cardiologist?

2) If you no longer have your folks come with you, how did you start going alone? Was it a difficult process or did you just cut them off cold turkey?

1 comment:

  1. 1) I go alone as of this year.

    2) I brought my BF to one day of testing (for moral support), but for appointments, I go alone. The process of mom come to appointments was made a bit easier by the fact that she lives in Northern Cal. But she would come down if I hinted at wanting her to be there. She has been offended in the past when I told her I didn't need her to come, but she is okay with it now.

    ReplyDelete