Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Girl, you don't know who you are messing with. I got a blog!

Medical receptionists are the bane of my existence.
Seriously - I think there is a course at their tech school that specifically teaches them to fuck up deliberately and act like it wasn't their fault.

I'm going to crash course everyone in the lady woes I'd been having by providing you a copy of this official letter that sums up the drama I've been going through since I switched to UCLA West (that's the UCLA for poor folk building).

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

When I was relocating to UCLA Medical West in February/March of 2011, I was scheduled to see Dr. Y. – but never did. She had her resident, Dr. G, take over and never once saw or talked to me herself. I found this to be unprofessional and exceedingly rude as I was not in a position to educate Dr. G about my unique heart health, walk her through my history and expect her to know the best course of action for my needs. Dr. G was the utmost professional and did her best, but when problems arose again in early June, I contacted TEAM RACHAEL! to schedule an appointment with Dr. P, who came highly recommended. I was out of the country and experiencing a very aggravating gynecological problem that I have been trying to sort out for some time. On June 8th, TEAM RACHAEL! informed me that she made an appointment with Dr. P, scheduled for July 5th at 1:15pm. As I do not drive, I asked my mother if she could take me to the appointment. She did and we made plans. We do not live on the west side of Los Angeles – we are situated in the San Gabriel Valley. It takes us at least one hour to arrive for my UCLA related appointments.
When I arrived at 12:45pm to check in, I was informed by the medical receptionist that I would not be seeing Dr. P because it was not his week for UCLA West appointments. Instead, I was going to see Dr. Y. I hope you can appreciate how mind-numbingly livid I was at being told this. My mother and I took time out of our schedule to come to this appointment – to drive through traffic, spending money on gas, lunch, parking only to be told we were not given an appointment with the doctor my cardiology team member was especially careful to make the appointment with. When I informed the receptionist of the problem, she was unsympathetic and told me all she could do was reschedule me. She then informed me that she was the individual whom scheduled the appointment in the first place and “Had TEAM RACHAEL! told me you didn’t want to see Dr. Y I would have made sure you weren’t scheduled to see her.”
Pardon my assumption Рbut when I schedule an appointment with a particular doctor РI expect to see that doctor. The receptionist should have informed TEAM RACHAEL! of the available dates Dr. P had at UCLA West Рnot whatever date was most convenient to see whoever happened to be there. I found her blas̩ attitude to be accusatory as if Linda and I were in the wrong and the whole ordeal to reek of classism. Just because I am on Medi/Medi does not mean I do not deserve to be treated with the same respect given to those able to afford being seen in the Medical Center.
I am not asking for fiscal compensation or even an apology. All I am asking for is for everyone at UCLA West to take a step outside of themselves and act in the best interest of their patients.
--Signed ME

There you go. The last few months of "No Babies Allowed" in a nutshell and I am still at square one.

1 comment:

  1. i would also be livid, that's ridiculous! i don't know why but i've had consistently bad experiences with the reception staff at medical offices.

    ReplyDelete